Monday 23 August 2021

Make Choices & Feel Understood

One of my clients told me recently that the best thing about coaching with my support was that she now felt understood and able to make choices. I wanted to explore this further with her which she agreed to.

My client said that saying her thoughts out loud and having me listen and say that I understood was a big relief. When she had done this with friends in the past they had listened without saying anything and then went on to talk about their own experience in this area. As a result of this she had stopped sharing her thoughts with friends and had felt increasingly overwhelmed by them. Her feelings had been fearful, panicky and anxious for years.

Being understood is one of our major needs as humans, along with giving and receiving love and making choices. 

Sharing that being understood made her feel safe and secure to express her true thoughts.

My client said that once she felt understood she felt that she could identify her choices and be self-directing in her life.  She suddenly felt a massive energy surge that replaced a feeling of helplessness.

We cannot control our feelings. We can control our thoughts. A good coach will work with you to help you to understand and control your thinking in most cases and in turn help you to experience more positive feelings.

If you are feeling like my client was please get in touch to discuss your needs using pam@westofenglandcoachingandcounselling.co.uk or 07712716602.

No comments:

Post a Comment