Friday 23 March 2012

Are You Living To Your Values?

Do you think there is some disparity between how you are living your life and your values?

I met with a senior manager in a firm this week who was so busy at work that he had not ever taken time to consider this question, let alone answer it.

If you are so busy that you haven't even considered this question, the chances are that what you are doing has started to control you rather than the other way around.

Fine if you are happy.

However, if you are unwell or have started to question 'Who am I doing this for?' then it could be time to ask if you are living your life according to your values.

The starting point is: 'What are your values?'

Your values are: 'What is important to you?'

Examples include health, family, freedom, learning and results.

I would encourage you to focus on your top 5 or so for now.

The next step is to assess your current life against these values by asking yourself the following questions:

  • What do I do each day to care for my health so that I am well enough to enjoy my life?
  • What amount of time do I dedicate to being with my family and how does this benefit us?
  • What am I doing to create freedom in my life?
  • What/who/where am I learning from right now?
  • What results am I achieving that I am proud of?

Chances are that there will be areas where there is a lack of congruence between what you are doing and what you value.

These areas are signposts for areas that you may well want to change.

The next step is generating a plan to align your values with your life.

For example, if your top value is health what can you do today, this week, this month and this year to improve your health.

If your next top value is freedom what can you do to create more freedom in your life? You will of course need to define what freedom means to you.

For example, if you want financial freedom from an employed job, you will want to think about what your self-employed job could be and draw up a rigorous business plan to ensure you are able to support yourself and any dependents.

You may need a plan to pay off debts before you embark on a journey into the world of self-employment.

It also might be a good idea to include a plan in your business case to go from full-time to part-time in your employed role whilst you start to build up a business of your own.

If you have found this blog to be thought- and action-provoking please leave a comment.

Alternatively, if you need any help or support in this or any other area of your life right now please get in touch through our website West of England Coaching and Counselling.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment